Sunday, October 27, 2019

100 Things I Want to Tell My Children and Grandchildren, #34


Famous/Quasi-Famous People I’ve Known or Met

Political
Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

My memories of Ann are so rich and deep I hardly know where to begin. Perhaps the memory for which I am most proud, was the inaugural parade. About 25 Texas Women’s Political Caucus members and I were selling the “A Woman’s Place is in the Dome” t-shirts all along the parade route, and I looked up to see Ann walking down congress to the Capital with a huge procession of supporters alongside and behind her. She yelled out “SueAnn, come here, come join me”. Unfortunately, I had a box full of t-shirts I couldn’t abandon and couldn’t join her, but I was extremely proud of that moment. Proud of Ann for making it into the Governorship, proud of women being so powerfully represented, and proud of the small part I play in all that.

I was President of the Texas Women’s Political Caucus when Ann was appointed State Treasurer and when she ran and won the Texas Governor’s seat. Because of our relationship, my famous graphic designer husband designed several ads for her campaign. She loved to flirt with him, suggesting I should share, to which I jokingly responded that I’m sure we could work something out. This is to say I was fairly involved in her campaign, and was, in fact, a member of her Capital Committee, which was a sort of honorary steering committee.  

We held a fundraiser for her at the National Women’s Political Caucus annual conference in Minneapolis, and the turnout was so overwhelming that we literally had hotel security limiting the number of people who could enter the room because of fire regulations. I had so many women virtually throwing money at me to give to Ann that I began stuffing it into my bra. Later that night at dinner with Ann and a couple of other people, much to our amusement, after I thought I’d already given Ann all the funds we raised at the event, I kept feeling something scratching against my chest, and found another $700, which I pulled out of my bra and handed over to Ann. We laughed so hard. It was a heady time! 

And lastly, is the memory of Texas Women’s Political Caucus float in a parade just prior to Ann’s Election to Governor. The float consisted of an eight-foot-tall replica of the Texas Capital Dome, with a large “A Woman’s Place is in the Dome” sign. We put as many elected women officials as possible, as well as firewomen, policewomen, etc. on the float.  And my 84 year old mom got to ride on that float. She was so proud and excited.


First Lady Hillary Clinton, US Senator, Secretary of State

Although I promoted and supported Hillary Clinton in the bid for the Presidency, I didn’t meet her until June 2015, at a fundraiser at Suzanne and Marc Winkelman’s.  Funny thing happened, when the special security checked my bag I forgot I had a knife in there - I joked and said us Texas girls always carry knives, but I don't think they were amused, and of course they made me remove it from my bag. They were probably keeping an eye on me the entire party too.

When I told Hillary my five-year-old (at the time) granddaughter asked me to ask her what's her favorite thing to do, despite a long line of people patiently waiting to be photographed with her, she replied, "Well you tell your little granddaughter that I love to swim, and I love to play with my dogs. But my most favorite thing to do is to play with my new little granddaughter Charlotte." America is the only industrialized nation yet to elect a woman President/top leader. What are we waiting for? Was Hillary Clinton perfect? No. Who is? If we wait for a woman candidate who is perfect, it will never happen. Are any of the male presidents or male presidential candidates perfect? No. Why do we hold women to a different standard? Women really need to cut each other a little more slack, and they need to stick together. Why? Because the female perspective is important. Not more important, just important.

Click on Read More Below to Continue



Betty Friedan, Iconic feminist, author of The Feminine Mystique, Co-founder of the National Women's Political Caucus, First President of the National Organization for Women (NOW)

I had breakfast with Betty (just the two of us), during the 1991, 20th Anniversary of the National Women's Political Caucus in Washington DC, which I attended with my wheelchair-bound mother. Betty was at the center of the movement to, in her own words, “bring women into the mainstream of American society, in fully equal partnership with men."  I’ve never quite understood why “equal” is so intimidating or annoying to some people. 

Helen Thomas, United Press Reporter,  White House Press Corps

Helen covered the White House during the administrations of ten U.S. presidents—from the start of the Kennedy administration to the second year of the Obama administration. Although I never met Helen Thomas, Ann Richards called me during her second (failed) run for Texas Governor, saying Helen called her saying, I had very admirably defended Ann during a DC women’s conference Helen had also attended. Ann was very appreciative, and I appreciated Helen passing along the complement to Ann.

First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson

I had a couple of opportunities to meet Lady Bird Johnson. The first was when I was President of Keep Texas Beautiful and we had tea at her house, and presented her with an award. The second was when I was with the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and she made a visit with her security guards (who I overhead complaining about her being grumpy). I felt very honored to be in the same room with her on both occasions.

Sarah Weddington, Attorney, Roe Vs Wade, Youngest Person to  Successfully Argue a Case Before the Supreme Court

I’ve known Sarah for a very long time due to our mutual involvement in the Texas Women’s Political Caucus, but it was great to have her as my very special guest at a Very Smart Gals Book Club meeting last year. 

(Book club members pictured with Sarah,  white-haired, seated, include, L-R, Liz Arreaga, Founder of Mercury Mambo, Cathy Casey, VP Texas Monthly Magazine, Karen Kahan, Chief Program Officer, Anderson Charitable Foundation, Nancy Coplin, Former Chair, Austin Music Commission, and former music producer Austin Bergstrom Airport, Marcia Ball, International Music Icon, Lynn Meredith, Austin Philanthropist of the Year, Sarah Weddington, Attorney, Roe vs Wade, Myra McIlvain, Freelance writer/lecturer, author of “Stein House,” Shannon Sedwick, owner of Esther’s Follies, Austin Icon, Sarah Bird, world-renown, award-winning author, Me, grandmother, blogger, development consultant, Susan Dawson, ABJ’s “30 most impactful in last 30 years,” Ronda Rutledge, Executive Director, Sustainable Food Center, Tracy Firsching, teaches re-entry in TX Dept of Criminal Justice, The Honorable Orlinda Naranjo, Presiding Judge of the 419th District Court, Dr. Nan McRaven, Austin Community College District Board of Trustees, Melissa D’Antoni, creative catalyst, visionary, Fire Tree Studios, and Lulu Flores, former President, National Women’s Political Caucus.)

Geraldine Ferraro, First Female Candidate for Vice President (for a major American political party), and Member of the US House of Representatives
I also met Geraldine Ferraro at the 1991, 20th Anniversary of the National Women's Political Caucus in Washington DC. I told her the story about 
my showing my then teen daughter a photo of her on the cover of Time magazine and saying to her, “See, Jolene, you could be Vice President, or even President someday,” to which she replied, “So could you mom!”  I told Geraldine that was an eye-opening moment for me. My next thought as I stared into my daughter’s magnificently evolved soul was, “No wonder it takes us so long. We expect the next generation to make the strides.”  She seemed to appreciate my story and we shared a special moment. How magnificent it must have felt to her (and to many of the courageous women of my generation) to know she/they were making history.

Gloria Steinem, "Mother of Feminism," Co-founder of Ms. Magazine, National Women's Hall of Fame, Awardee of the Presidential Medal of Freedom

I met Gloria as we waited for taxis outside the 1991, 20th Anniversary of the National Women's Political Caucus in Washington DC. I told her how angry I was that Bill Clinton had just received a standing ovation (or was even invited) at the closing ceremony of the conference. I was still reeling and in tears that they’d announced a 10% increase in women elected to national office (over the past 20 years), as if that was something to be proud of. 10% in 20 years, I was devastated. Gloria assured me she’s been through many, many such disappointments, feeling disillusioned and discouraged. We talked about 30 minutes, and although our conversation didn’t really make me feel any better, it did validate my feelings of disappointment, standing in contrast to the satisfaction everyone else seem to experience with the 10% gain. 

Lyndon B. Johnson, President of the United States

One summer, when my mother was attending graduate school at UT and I was very young, and President Johnson was then the US Senator for Texas, my mom and I took a bus from the rooming house where we lived to the Paramount Theater to hear Senator Johnson speak. At the end of his speech, mom and I waited until the rush of people had cleared, and then we went up on the stage, and mom made a grand point of introducing me to Mr. Johnson. I remember with such clarity that this giant of a man, bent in half to gently hold and kiss my small, white-gloved hand. 

Music

John Blasutta, Audio Engineer, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, The WhoBlues Brothers, and others

Although he lives in Austin, John was a long-distance boyfriend for a couple of years (many years ago) because he was never home – traveling with all the top bands – some of which are mentioned above. I haven’t see or stayed in touch with John over the years, but suspect he’s still the fun, self-deprecating guy as always. John introduced me to so many people in the music industry who became friends, and provided many fun music-related experiences. I enjoyed the biggest concerts in the world from the sound engineer tower (best seats in the house), from front row seats (second best seats), and standing on the side of many concert stages, nestled in-between giant speakers, and attending fun after parties.

Paul Gongaware, Concerts West, Manager for Elvis Presley, Rolling Stones, Prince, Céline Dion, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and others

I met Paul through John Blasutta and although we were always just friends, I would go out to dinner with him when he was in town for a concert, and he always gave me backstage passes for his shows, which were fun. Paul had a wonderful sense of humor and was fun to hang out with.

Joe Esposito, Manager for Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, The Bee Gees, Karen Carpenter, John Denver, and others  

Joe and I also became friends through mutual friend Paul Gongaware. Joe was a very nice, humble guy, and briefly a boyfriend who I hung out with when he was in town for a concert. I remember Joe (now deceased) with fondness not just because he was really nice, but also because he took care of me one weekend when after flying to Dallas to see him and John Denver, I developed the flu. I was so sick I couldn’t even get out of bed, so he somehow found a doctor and got a prescription for me, nursed me for three days, then put me back on a plane to Austin. Sometime around 1980, I spent a week with him in California, during which time he drove me by all the stars houses and told me interesting stories about all the people he represented and encountered during his music career. Since he was Elvis’ best friend, he had some especially good stories about him.

Donald "Buddha" Miller, Manager, Jackson Browne

Paul Gongaware asked me to take his friend Buddha Miller out to dinner in Austin when he was in town for a Jackson Browne concert, so we went to Fonda San Miguel, where Buddha taught me an interesting lesson. When wait staff brought our entrée before we’d finished our appetizer and drinks, he sent them away saying they should not rush us – and admonishing them gently. At the end of the meal he handed the waiter a $100 bill and said that if he would learn to be more “sensitive” to the customer’s needs and timing, he would always receive larger tips. I thought that was pretty classy.  Oh, and he received a phone call from Jackson telling him to get Jackson's wife a "no limits" American Express card for her to use in Paris. HA!

Beyoncé’s Aunt

On a beautiful spring day in 2001, expecting a tile installer to show up to install tile in our kitchen and dining rooms, I answered our front door to a beautiful African American woman, with a contagious smile, who, in my response to my “Hi, can I help you?”, said, “I’m here to install your tile floors". After I shook off my surprise (she was probably used to people’s reactions), I invited her in, and we chit chatted a bit. She told me she was from Houston and had been installing tile on contract for Home Depot for 4-5 years. She set about very professionally working on our floors, but when she heard Destiny’s Child singing on the TV, said, “Oh that’s my niece! I am so proud of her!” She explained she was Beyoncé’s mother’s sister, and when she said it, I knew she was telling the truth because she and Beyoncé’ looked almost exactly alike and because she knew things about the family that it didn’t seem anyone else would know, like other family members' names, other aunts/uncles, etc. So that’s my Bey Bey story! Not much, and I never saw her again and don’t even remember her name, but it was pretty cool at the time.

Don Henley, Glen Frey and Joe Walsh, the Eagles

Because I knew a good many people in the music business, I frequently received backstage passes to concerts in Austin and was invited to after parties, which is where I met Don Henley, Gen Frey and Joe Walsh. Don seemed genuinely interested in my impression of the concert, and very pleased when I told him how “into” the concert the audience was. We just talked for a while and it was pleasant. Gen Frey came up and interrupted our conversation and seemed grumpy and indifferent, which made me not think much of him (a general lack of courtesy). I also visited briefly with Joe Walsh, and Paul Gongaware told me later that Joe Walsh was disappointed I’d left early (I had work the next day), which was sort of flattering – just because he’s such a fabulous musician.

Roger Daltrey and Peter Townsend, The Who

One of the many concerts I attended (backstage) was a concert by The Who. My boyfriend at the time, John Blasutta was in Japan doing another concert, but had made arrangements for my backstage pass to The Who, and since he was flying back into Austin that night, had asked me to invite Roger and Peter (friends) to stay over and go skiing with us the next day. Unfortunately, Roger and Peter had to decline because they were flying out the next morning. They invited me to join them for a late dinner at The County Line, but I needed to get home and get to bed because I was flying to Houston for work the next day and couldn't go. Nevertheless, it was pretty cool talking to such music icons. I should have go to dinner with them!

Actors

Danny Glover, Actor

When Danny Glover was in Austin during the promotion of Lonesome Dove, there was a special event at the Driskill Hotel, which for some reason I was invited to. When I went up to shake Danny Glover’s hand, instead he picked me up and swung me around in a big bear hug. I had no idea why, but he was just so handsome and sweet, I couldn’t be mad – well, plus, he was Danny Glover!

Julie Andrews, Actress

Julie Andrews was staying in the same hotel with me in DC and it just so happened we ended up in the elevator together where she was very obviously hiding behind sunglasses and a scarf. I unfortunately spoke to her and mentioned how much I enjoy her in Victor/Victoria. Although courteous, I could immediately see she didn't want to have a conversation with me. So, I learned that when someone is trying not to be recognized, don’t recognize them.

“Iron Eyes Cody, The Crying Indian”
(Picture is of me receiving a national award from Keep America Beautiful in 1990, with Iron Eyes Cody)

Although “Iron Eyes” wasn’t even American Indian, he was Sicilian, he gained fame portraying an American Indian through the movie business, acting alongside many famous actors, including John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Richard Harris, etc. I met Iron Eyes through my involvement with Keep American Beautiful, founded by Lady Bird Johnson when she was first Lady, and who featured Iron Eyes in the famous “Crying Indian” anti-litter public service announcement, which showed Cody in costume, shedding a tear after trash is thrown from the window of a car and it lands at his feet. The announcer, William Conrad, says: "People start pollution; people can stop it." 

Iron Eyes told me the story that when he and Lady Bird were filming the famous PSA, they argued because he insisted “Indians don't’ cry”. Of course, Lady Bird won that argument, and the rest is history.  You can watch the video below.



No comments:

Post a Comment