Sunday, April 3, 2016

100 Things I Want to Tell My Children and Grandchildren: #19



(Seriously, you can't take life too seriously - photo was taken April 2016, private rooftop hot tub, penthouse, Holland Hotel, Alpine, TX)

There will be days when you ask yourself, “What’s the point?”

It feels like parental blasphemy saying this out loud to my children and grandchildren. Parents are supposed to be the pillars of strength for their children and examples of how all adversity in life can be overcome.

On the other hand, if we never tell our children there will be days when they feel like total failures, and we know that because we too have had those days, they may feel alone in their failure, and not see that everyone has those days, and they may not see the opportunity to realize the point of their lives.

There are many days when I feel like the hamster in the wheel, running nowhere, with no foreseeable finish line in sight.  And then I think of the fortune I already hold in my grasp – my beloved companion, my treasured family, my friends/my anchors, health and the capacity to support myself, a huge laugh that makes every darkness disappear, a touching moment that reminds me how lovely it feels to feel, memories more valuable than gold. And it is in those moments I see “the point”, and I feel ashamed, and I forgive myself, and I am thankful that my life has such an amazing, amazing point. 


No comments:

Post a Comment