Sunday, August 30, 2015

Yes Please by Amy Poehler



I swerved around Amy Poehler book Yes Please when it first came out and then snapped it up one night six months later as I felt myself slipping into a I’m-nearly-out-of-books panic attack. Sometimes life is fortuitous.

Before I read Yes Please I knew Amy was on  Saturday Night Live, in the movie Baby Mama, and co-hosted the Academy Awards with Tina Fey.

Now I know Poehler is a high-speed rail ride, in a spa, while on crack, and getting a foot massage. What I mean is, she is incredibly quick, sharp and snappy while coming across as a laid-back yoga guru. Her wit, which alternates between self-deprecation and self-love, makes you feels like you are the target in a punch line darts game. But her character just seems so centered and settled.

While being pelted with Poehler’s alternately hilarious and heart-wrenching stories of getting into and surviving the comedy business, I kept wishing I had her license to say anything to anybody, anywhere, anytime. Things I typically can only say to my BFF, when no one else is around, and after a couple of stiff drinks. 

Amy Poehler is not only funnier in her book then she comes off on TV, she’s smarter, and charmingly philosophical. Here are a few of my favorite quotes.

If you are lucky, there is a moment in your life when you have some say as to what your currency is going to be. I decided early on it was not going to be my looks.

Treat your career like a bad boyfriend. It likes it when you don't depend on it. It will chase you if you act like other things are more important to you.

Your creativity is not a bad boyfriend. It is a really warm older Hispanic lady who has a beautiful laugh and loves to hug.

And sometimes, Poehler is just a very funny comedian. Please don't drive drunk, okay? Seriously. It's so f*cked up. But by all means, walk drunk. That looks hilarious.

I like Amy, and I like her book – well, except for the name, which just doesn’t say anything about her or her book. 

She should have named it You’ll Like Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment